Teenage runaway Tex, knew life was hard, but she never expected what life threw at her this time...

Read on to find out...

New installments every week, Saturday, 9pm!

I'm taking a short break for Xmas...back in the new year. Sorry folks!

Saturday 19 November 2011

Revelations


My eyes flew open as consciousness slammed into me with indescribable force. Immediately I was aware of a painful burning in my throat and a wave of desire swept through me . My eyes slowly took in my surroundings, vines clung to the white marble of the walls and ceiling and a flickering yellow glow emanated from the far corner, barely illuminating the small room. Everything seemed too vivid, I could see every crack and blemish on the roof above.


Sitting up and swivelling round in one fluid movement, confusion settled in. I openly stared at the person before me. Eyes of swirling silver and lightest blue, waves of dark blond hair and skin that appeared akin to burnished bronze. What was left of his clothing hung from his muscular frame in filthy tatters, unrecognisable for what they once were. He sat rigidly on the floor, positioned before the small fire that was the source of the light. The stranger held my gaze steadily, as if waiting for something. All at once questions poured from my lips.


“Who are you? Where am I? What the hell happened?” 


“I am Alexander and this is my tomb.” He had a soft lilting voice that seemed to instantly calm me. “Are you sure you do not remember what happened?”, he continued. 


As if his words had lifted a hidden veil, my memories rushed in, filling me with horror. I had died and someone, quite probably the man sitting in front of me, had murdered my companions. My only friends. Chase and Meagan. Grief engulfed me and I felt hot, stinging tears slide down my face.


“You must control yourself! Your emotions are extremely heightened in your new state”, Alexander commanded.


“W-what do you mean? My new state?” I was becoming increasingly hysterical. I dragged the dirty sleeves of my thin sweatshirt across my weeping eyes, rubbing them dry. My hands dropped limply lap and I stared, dumbstruck, at the material. Two large scarlet smears marred the flared cuffs…blood. My mouth stretched wide and I began to shriek like a wild thing.


“I thought you were not so foolish as those others…that was why I chose you”, he said vehemently. “Now stop that abominable noise! Its only a little blood. You will always cry bloody tears.”


Oh God! I thought, letting the information sink in. The idea of blood dripping down my face was repulsive. I could never let anyone see me cry again. It was a humiliation I couldn’t bear. But then I focused on what he’d said and a new thought formed.


“Chose me? For what?”, I asked, uncertain if I truly wanted to know the answer.


Sighing, Alexander poked at the withering fire and began to explain. “I chose you for a companion. I have lived for centuries, ever wandering, and I am lonely. I have slept for the last 500 years inside the coffin you now sit upon. I am a vampire and now…”, he paused, “so are you. That burning in your throat and the fierce desire coupled with it is the thirst. The thirst for blood.”


Panic threatened to consume me, my breath came in short gasps as I tried to process what Alexander was telling me. Vampires were the stuff of myths and legends, I couldn’t possibly be one…could I? But Alexander cared nothing for my internal struggle, he had continued speaking regardless.


“Everything is amplified for you now…your vision, your movements, your hearing, taste, touch, smell. You will have certain gifts too, I am sure, but I do not know if they will be the same as mine.”


“Gifts?”, I butted in when he paused for breath, “What gifts?”


A flicker of amusement passed across his sculpted features. “ I have many gifts and perhaps many more I’ve yet to discover. I can appear at will in any place, I can fade from sight and I can draw people to me.”


I can whisper in your mind and control your thoughts and actions too. I can root through your brain as if it were a picture book, to find any information I desire. The words rippled through my brain, unspoken. It shocked me, but I immediately began to notice the implications of this revelation. He could control me! He seemed all powerful in that instant. What if he made me kill people? But the thought no longer seemed to repulse me so much. What was happening to me? I could almost feel the evil spreading through my body as the vampire state pushed itself to the forefront. Then a new thought popped into my head…


“Will I be telepathic too?”, I asked in a small voice. I looked down at my hands while I waited for the answer, noticing my knuckles had gone white where I had gripped the coffin so tightly. 


“Why don’t we find out? Try it…” I exhaled a breath I didn’t realise I’d been holding and focused on my next question. 


Does this mean I’m immortal now? I concentrated hard on the words, pushing them out of my head with all the mental strength I could summon. I watched the planes of his face closely, waiting for a reaction. 


“Yes you’re immortal now, but there is really no need to shout”, he grimaced, rubbing at his temples in a mock gesture of pain. “You are going to be a strong one. There was a lot of force behind that thought”. 


A grin spread across my face. Perhaps he wouldn’t be able to control me after all. The realisation that I was a vampire became less frightening and I was curious about the other gifts I might possess.


Alexander raised himself to full height, he towered above me. In the blink of an eye he was standing next to me, making me jump right out of my skin. 


“Come, my dear. It is time for your first feed, to cement the transformation”, he whispered to me as he grabbed my hand. He pulled me with him, until I matched his own lightening speed. We left the tomb in a blur of movement to quick for mortal eyes to see.




2 comments:

  1. Please visit my site at Welcometothe boilerroom.blogspot.com

    You could start this story retrospectively. A half a millennium ago prince vampire was sentenced by the supreme council to spend the next 500 years in a state of ‘ death‘ for attempting to seize power by deceit. His crime, a queen cannot be queen unless she willingly demonstrates through an act of will that she will do anything for her people. Make your would-be queen wake up in a huge four-poster bed, feeling as if she was suffering from a hang-over. Immediately she wakes, the door to the chamber opens and in come her ladies-in-waiting. She doesn‘t have a clue what is going on, but they treat her like royalty. She hears the music and is drawn to the sounds emanating from the ballroom, and is then dressed and readied for her audience….she goes into the ballroom and is beckoned to come sit beside the prince…“Welcome my queen, we‘ve been waiting for you….”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment and idea, it is greatly appreciated. But, I do have many projects underway at present.

    ReplyDelete